Monday, June 21, 2010

Writing you from the future....

That's right. Little did I know that while traveling to Australia, I was also travelling in time. It is Monday evening, the 21st almost Tuesday in fact, and all of you back at home are stuck way back on Sunday. I don't want to spoil the future for you but Sunday was rather uneventful, as a matter of fact I didn't even get to experience the 20th at all. It just sort of disappeared, which is a shame, I typically enjoy Sundays....

At any rate I suspect that I will eventually get that day back; apparently when I leave Australia I will arrive before I left. Not that I'm in any hurry to leave, but there is something rather exciting about that idea.

I have developed a bad habit of assuming almost subconsciously that anyone who speaks with an accent different than mine must be speaking English as a second language. So I habitually talk to Australians slowly and use simple words which both makes me look like an asshole and unintelligent. Im trying to break this habit.

Australia is gorgeous. It was a perfectly sunny autumn day when I arrived here. They do however drive on the wrong side of the road. I find this very concerning. I do not anticipate I will very soon become comfortable with the idea, and fear that I might get killed crossing the street. You look right then left. This is very confusing. They also spell things incorrectly. "Colour" and "apologise". I find this exciting because if I ever misspell a word (which is extraordinarily common) I can just pretend that is how it is spelled in America.

The plane ride was very comfortable. I sat next to too Chileans which was exciting because I love the opportunity to speak in Spanish when ever I can, unfortunately they love the chance to speak English so we spent the duration of the trip battling between English and Spanish.

I cannot report unfortunately if the toilet actually spins the opposite direction or not. It seems to be the same, but I forget which way it spins at home so nothing to report on that front..

Im staying currently with our family friends the Tatoulis's (that most certainly is spelled wrong). Their house is wonder full and they truly are some of the most accommodating generous people alive. If you've made it this far in the blog post I promise that in the future I wont post nonsense rambling like this, but unfortunately at his point I really haven't done anything to speak of but nap and read the paper (papers here are ridiculously large and wide, I don't know if Australians just have longer arms than other people but you seriously need to be Michael Phelps to hold the things stretched out properly)

Anyway I'm here. I'm safe. I'm well cared for and I suspect I will have more to write about later.

Peace

1 comment:

  1. Great observations Christopher. Tatoulis is spelled correctly. Yes, the Australians and especially the Tatoulis family is probably the nicest and most generous family I know.
    They are so relaxed and laid back. The expression "No Worries Mate" truly describes their attitude.
    I didn't know that about their newspapers, i guess the save a tree idea hasn't happened there yet.
    Give them my love, keep up the blogging, most interesting! XO, Mom or should I say Mum

    ReplyDelete