Saturday, June 19, 2010

Ive Created a blog

Ive decided to create a blog to articulate to the world my travels and exploits of the next few months. For those of you reading, which unless you happen to be my mother is presumably no one, I am currently in transit to the bustling metropolis of Melbourne.

I find myself in LAX. I have found that an airport is almost perfectly analogous to the city in which it resides. FOR EXAMPLE: PDX, or Portland international airport is a very clean, homogeneous, friendly, not very crowded airport that like the city (and the state) is very overwhelmingly green (at least the carpet is). LAX in contrast is incredibly crowded, loud and it impossible to find your way around. You are overwhelmed by a sinking feeling that someone is going to rob you. The thing that stands out most however is that no one speaks English. Truly, no body.
I have been in South America, Mexico and just about every country in western Europe and I have never been in a place where English is more scarcely spoken. As earlier mentioned it is very hard to find your way around, this problem is elevated by the language gap.

Allow me to set the scene. I walked off of the airplane and immediately stepped in a childs vomit. This gift stayed with me for a considerable amount of time as vomit tends to do on ones shoes in the linoleum jungle that is LAX. I wandered for ever until I finally found someone who spoke English (at least I think) but she was Australian, and I mean really Australian and I couldn't understand a word she said to me (this doesn't bode well for the future). I finally found some carpet to sort of rid my shoes of the aforementioned vomit and found perhaps the only open outlet in the whole place. I am sitting shoulder to shoulder with an indian man blaring sitar music and am currently less than chipper about this airport.
There are also no clocks in the building. Having left behind my cell phone and conveniently packing my watch deep in my checked bag where it can be perfectly useless finding the time is not as easy as one might expect. People become very suspicious when you ask them the time, they typically stop look around and check their wallets.

Also I feel like this can not go un noted. There is a strip club in LAX. I feel like that sorta speaks for itself.

HOWEVER, Im very excited to be leaving for another continent in just a few hours. You may be thinking to yourself "How narcissistic that he would think we would care to read about a trip through LAX" and I couldnt agree more. It is perhaps the most mundane thing I could imagine. But its my blog. Deal with it.

4 comments:

  1. So how was the strip club? (come on dont deny it...)

    Also that sucks with everything that you ran into, but still pretty funny. I still cant believe that you cannot understand the ozzies, you will either be able to fully at the end of your trip or be completely and uderly lost the whole time. Have a safe flight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice to see that you made it safe and sound to LAX!
    Sorry about your shoes. I hope that your next blog
    will be more cheery. Can't wait to hear your impressions of Melbourne, or of Quanta airlines.
    tata for now, xoxo, mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. have fun down under. I bet after the first 5h in ozzie land you'll be perfectly able to understand them. at least, language wise...

    and by the way: I think there's an apostrophe missing in your blog's headline... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, btw, the international block is me, Nina. just so you don't get freaked ;-)

    ReplyDelete